Representing the Coordinator of the consortium, it is a research center of excellence that deals with diseases of high prevalence, morbidity and mortality. Founded in 1996, it is a public consortium composed of the Generalitat of Catalonia, the Hospital Clínico of Barcelona, the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Barcelona and the Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona of the CSIC.
In IMLINFO, the team of Dr. Patricia Perez-Galán, within the program of lymphoid neoplasms of IDIBAPS which is directed by Prof. Elias Campo and in close collaboration with the team of Dr. Dolors, is dedicated to the design of personalized and innovative NHL therapies with special attention to those directed against the tumor microenvironment. Likewise, they have extensive experience in the study of molecular mechanisms of action and drug resistance.
IMLINFO will benefit from this know-how in studies of gene expression and sequencing of the latest generation within the framework of the lymphoid neoplasm program.
PALOBIOFARMA SL, Barcelona – Spain
PALOBIOFARMA S.L. is a Spanish biotechnology company founded in 2006 by a group of scientists with experience in the discovery of drugs in several pharmaceutical companies. PALOBIOFARMA's mission is to discover new drugs based on the modulation of adenosine receptors.
The experience of the team resides in:
- Virtual drug design
- Medical Chemistry
- In vitro pharmacology of adenosine
- Physical-chemical characterization of compounds
- Intellectual Property
PALOBIOFARMA has proven experience in the discovery and development of drugs with 7 products in clinical and/or preclinical phases. Recently, a small adenosine modulating molecule (PBF-509) has been licensed to Novartis as an immunotherapy for the treatment of lung cancer.
In IMLINFO, the team of Dr. Nahomi Castro is in charge of selecting, synthesizing and characterizing the immunotherapeutic activity of new molecules for NHL. Likewise, a proof-of-concept clinical trial will be carried out in cancer patients with one of their most advanced molecules in preclinical and clinical development.
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale - Cancer Research Center of Toulouse (INSERM-CRCT), Toulouse – France
The INSERM-CRCT is part of the "Oncopolo" of Toulouse since 2014. The teams of the INSERM-CRCT are dedicated to 4 branches of research:
- Oncogenic sequencing, response to DNA damage and genetic instability
- RNA and Cancer
- Microenvironment and tumor metabolism
The group of Dr. Christine Bezombes, integrated in the team of Dr. Jean Jacques Fournié, has experience in the study of the NHL biology, the mechanisms of "immunoescape" and in the characterization of the mechanisms of action of new therapeutic strategies in either NHL 3-D models or in vivo using murine models. In the IMLINFO project, Christine Bezombes will be in charge of the development of 3D models from cells of patients with NHL provided by CHUT, its characterization (by cytometry, image analysis, SPIM and others) and screening to determine the best therapeutic combination adapted to each patient.
IMACTIV-3D is an SME that designs and develops methodologies for evaluating the efficacy of therapies with 3-D biological models. Their skills in 3-D cell biology and image processing are a fundamental tool for understanding the phenomena involved In the NHLs and developed In the IMLINFO project.
- Use of 3-D models available in the market, management of their own models or samples and the development of innovative personalized 3-D models.
- Exploitation of 3-D models and tissue imaging equipment at the forefront of technology, for visualization and design of samples (3-D models, tissues, organs).
- Development of characterization methods of three-dimensional images to obtain an objective and quantitative evaluation of the efficacy of the compounds in preclinical phase.
The aim of the company is to confront the challenges of evaluating active molecules through the following approximations:
- Understand the mechanisms of action of the molecules of interest.
- Evaluate their activity in the preclinical phase in 3-D predictive biological models.
- Reduce the risk of failure of the candidate molecules at the clinical stage.
In IMLINFO, the team of Dr. Jean Michel Lagarde is in charge of the characterization of 3-D structures by creating specific algorithms for each model.
The IDIBGI has its origins in the private foundation Dr. Josep Trueta (1995) and its purpose is to promote, develop, manage and disseminate research in order to respond to the health problems of the population.
Since the year 2008 it is a public entity, with the entry of the Generalitat in its governing bodies. The IDIBGI is composed of research groups from the Hospital Universitario Dr. Josep Trueta of Girona (HJT) and of the University de Girona, the Instituto de Diagnóstico por la Imagen (IDI), the Instituto Catalán de Oncología (ICO) and the Instituto de Atención Primaria (EAP) / Instituto Catalán de la Salud in Girona.
In IMLINFO, Dr. David Gallardo’s group is responsible for the processing and characterization of the samples of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients, which come from the ICO.
The Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO) is a public and monographic center on cancer. It deals with the disease in an integral way, as it brings together, within the same organization, prevention, assistance, specialized training and research. ICO is a public company created in 1995 by the Department of Health of the Generalitat of Catalonia, which began to operate a year later in the facilities of the Hospital Duran i Reynals in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat. Seven years later, in 2002, the ICO Girona was inaugurated, at the Hospital Universitario Doctor Josep Trueta, and one year later the ICO Badalona, in the Hospital Universitario Germans Trias i Pujol. In 2014 the ICO Camp de Tarragona and Terres de L'Ebre were set up in the Hospital Universitario Joan XXIII in Tarragona and the Verge de la Cinta in Tortosa. Currently, ICO is the reference Oncology Center for more than 40% of the adult population of Catalonia.
In IMLINFO, ICO Girona participates as IDIBGI’s public co-financer and is responsible for providing samples of NHL patients, as well as the associated clinical-pathological information.
The HCB is a university hospital founded in the year 1906 and it belongs to the network of Hospitals of Public Utility of Catalonia (RHUP). It covers practically all medical and surgical specialties and develops activities in the fields of Assistance, Research and Teaching, either directly or through linked companies. The hospital acts as a community hospital, being the main public supplier for its zone of reference in the city of Barcelona, with a population of 540,000 inhabitants and, at the same time, as a tertiary hospital of high complexity, developing lines of activity for patients not only from Catalonia, but also from all over Spain, and even at the international level.
In order to ensure continuity of care and the integral provision of health services, Hospital Clínic participates in the management of primary care centers, develops mental health activities and establishes alliances with other centers to cover the public health needs of their patients.
In IMLINFO, the Hematopathology Unit at HCB, directed by Dr. Dolors Colomer, is in charge of providing samples from NHL patients. The departments of Hematology and Pathology will provide the associated clinical-pathological data
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse (CHUT), Toulouse – France
The University Hospital Centre of Toulouse (CHUT) has four missions:
- Care, The University Hospital, with a regional vocation established by decree, ensures priority missions of patient care and education. As such, it offers current and highly specialized medical and surgical services, accommodates emergency patients 24 hours a day, and develops alternatives to traditional hospitalization, including ambulatory activities, telemedicine and work activities in a network, in association with local hospitals, clinics and city doctors. It guarantees the poorest people access to the reception facilities, such as Health Point, PASS, and consultations with migrants.
- Prevention, The CHUT participates in public health actions, prevention and health education for hospitalized patients, and public information campaigns for the general public through coordinated actions with the associative network (AIDS, drug addiction, fighting against smoking, cardiovascular, social and humanitarian medicine risks).
- Teaching, The CHUT is a partner in the Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy, in the framework of the conventions linking them to the University of Paul-Sabatier, the UHC contributes to university and postgraduate education, and to the training of hospital and non-hospital professionals. Thanks to the Regional Center for Education and Training for Health Professions (PREFMS), it also ensures the initial mission for teaching with respect to health professionals.
- Research, the CHUT in the field of clinical research, actively contributes to the progress of the medical and pharmaceutical sciences, in cooperation with the faculties and UFR, EPST, Inserm and CNRS.
In IMLINFO the departments of Hematology and Pathology at CHUT, represented by Dr. Loic Ysebaert and Dr. Camille Laurent, are in charge of providing and characterizing samples from patients with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.